This week’s sustainability tip is to rehome your unwanted things. When learning to live more sustainably, many people come the realization that they have a lot more than they need.
This can lead to downsizing, and generally getting rid of “stuff”. ⠀
While it is certainly easier to drop everything off in one go at your local goodwill, unfortunately that doesn’t ensure that it will end up in someone’s home rather than the landfill.
Our biggest tip is to make the transition over time so that you can find homes for your items with people that will appreciate and use them, rather than crossing your fingers and hoping the right person stumbles upon it at the goodwill. ⠀
Ways to part with your possessions
- Sell on eBay, Facebook marketplace, local Craigslist
- Host a garage sale
- Post in your local buy nothing Facebook page
- Donate to local nonprofits/shelters (make sure to see what donations are accepted)
- For clothing items- consign at local consignment shops
- Give items to friends or family. (This worked well for us for things like art, and clothing from our alma mater)
⠀ What’s the hardest part of getting rid of stuff for you?